如何理解 Jack Gilbert 的这句话?

Jack Gilbert 的“I dream of lost vocabularies that might express some of what we no longer can.”这句话意思是我梦到已经消逝的词汇,它们可能表达了某些我们再也无法表达的东西。

杰克·吉尔伯特(Jack Gilbert, 1925-2012),美国当代诗人,著有《大火》、《拒绝天堂》、《独一无二的舞蹈》等五部诗集。曾获耶鲁青年诗人奖、全国书评界奖、洛杉矶时报图书奖等多种诗歌奖项。

《THE FORGOTTEN DIALECT OF THE HEART》译文:

THE FORGOTTEN DIALECT OF THE HEART

被遗忘的内心方言

How astonishing it is that language can almost mean,and frightening that it does not quite.

多么令人惊讶,语言几乎总能有意义,多么让人害怕,它并不完全有意义。

Love, we say,God, we say, Rome and Michiko, we write, and the words Get it wrong.?

爱,我们说,上帝,我们说,罗马和美智子,我们写,而词语误解了它。

We say bread and it means according to which nation.?

我们说面包,它的意义取决于哪一个民族。

French has no word for home,and we have no word for strict pleasure.?

法语没有一个词表示家,我们没有一个词表示严格的快乐。

A people in northern India is dying out because their ancient tongue has no words for endearment.?

印度北部有一个民族即将灭绝,因为他们古老的语言里没有亲爱这类词语。

I dream of lost vocabularies that might express some of what we no longer can.?

我梦到已经消逝的词汇,它们可能表达了某些我们再也无法表达的东西。

Maybe the Etruscan texts would finally explain why the couples on their tombs are smiling.

也许伊特鲁里亚的文本最终会解释为什么坟墓上的那对夫妇正在微笑。

And maybe not.

也许不会解释。

When the thousands of mysterious Sumerian tablets were translated,they seemed to be business records.?

当数以千计神秘的苏美尔匾牌被破译的时候,它们似乎是商业记录。

But what if they are poems or psalms

但如果是诗文或圣歌呢?

My joy is the same as twelve Ethiopian goats standing silent in the morning light.?

我的喜悦如同十二只埃塞俄比亚山羊静立在清晨的阳光里。

O Lord, thou art slabs of salt and ingots of copper,as grand as ripe barley lithe under the wind's labor.

噢,主啊,你是盐板和铜锭,壮丽如成熟的麦子在风的吹动中弯曲。

Her breasts are six white oxen loaded with bolts of long-fibered Egyptian cotton.?

她的胸脯是六头白色公牛,系着埃及长纤维缰绳。

My love is a hundred pitchers of honey.?

我的爱是一百罐蜂蜜。

Shiploads of thuya are what my body wants to say to your body.?

大量的金钟柏是我的身体想对你的身体的述说。

Giraffes are this desire in the dark.?

长颈鹿是黑夜里的这种欲望。

Perhaps the spiral Minoan script is not a language but a map.

或许,螺旋状的米诺斯文字不是一种语言而是一幅地图。

What we feel most has no name but amber, archers, cinnamon, horses and birds.

我们感受最多的没有名字,除了琥珀,人马座,樟树,马和鸟。